domingo, 3 de febrero de 2008

Monsters under my bed



I used to check systematically for monsters under my bed. Not a night went by without me telling myself that I wouldn't bother kneeling again to take a quick look. I though to myself that I never found any monsters, that I was just going on my knees in search for something that I would never find. I tortured myself every night before going to sleep, begging myself not to repeat this senseless ritual.
Some nights I would get into bed without checking, and sleeping was impossible. I would toss and turn for hours, realizing that making sure that there were no monsters under my bed was the only way for me to get some sleep.
I guess it was fine for me to feel the need to check "just in case". The problem was: what if I actually found a monster under my bed? What did I expect to do? What was I going to say?
This went on for years and years. Even if I had had the most exhausting day I could not resist from bending and looking for something hiding under the mattress. Until I saw someone. And it was no monster. As a matter of fact, she was not even close to being one. Under my bed, the most beautiful woman in the whole world was smiling at me, and with that smile I froze. All those nights of looking for a horrible creature that would threaten my life had lead to finding a beautiful woman lying on the floor and smiling at me! After staring at her for what felt like an eternity I stood up dizzily and pinched myself to make sure I was not dreaming. As I didn't seem to be sleeping, I said to her: "Um...hi...I'm Greg. Wanna come out of there?" I heard no response, so I went on my knees again to find the floor under my bed empty like any other night.
After the disappearance of that incredible and surprising sight I could no longer sleep. She could be there while I was unconscious and missing the chance to get to know her. I spent millions of nights awake, waiting for her to make a new appearance. My tendency to check under the bed for monsters became a more preoccupying one: I was now willing to find someone, someone that had now shaken up every aspect of my life. I didn't sleep anymore, I barely worked. My life revolved around the event of finding that woman again and knowing what had brought her there.
After a year of constantly hoping that she would show up again, proving that she must had had an interest on being there in the first place, I lost my faith. That exciting event that had changed my life and beliefs was probably not meant for the simple guy that I was. It must had been a mistake. I had to go back to my normal life or I would be sucked into an obsession that would lead nowhere.
I overcame with time my tendency to look under my bed. I try not to think about the fact that she is probably there, laughing at the fact that I succumbed into an obsession after seeing her for a few seconds. I try my best to forget about her and move on with my life. After all, if she ever decides to visit me again, she knows that I once cared enough not to sleep for countless nights thinking about her. She will maybe come out and we will meet again.

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...
Este comentario ha sido eliminado por un administrador del blog.